Friday, October 4, 2013

Guard your mind ....................... Parables 027

There is a phenomenon known as “writers’ block.” It happens periodically to authors, whereby something seems to impede the flow of ideas. It can last for a few minutes, or it can obstruct creativity for a long time.
 

For the present, I’ve not experienced writers’ block to any great degree. However, I do not attribute that to some superior creative skill or imaginative powers. I have no more potential in that department than anyone who writes or aspires to write.
 

Creativity is a God-given characteristic. Made in the image of the Creator and molded in His likeness, our creativity expresses itself in the kitchen, under the hood of old cars, in front of an easel, or on the blank walls of old buildings. Everyone creates, in one way or another.
 

Behind inventive activity is the faculty of imagination. We first create in our minds. Some ideas are good, but too often creative thinking is self-centered, wasted on useless pursuits, foolishness, or even evil schemes. My mind is capable of ideas that, if carried out, would be highly destructive. My imagination can pervert and twist reality, justify sin, and even call evil good. All rebellion against God begins with such sinful thoughts. No wonder He warns, “Guard your (mind) with all diligence, for out of it proceeds the issues of life” (Proverbs 4:23).
 

The battle of diligently guarding my mind has shown me that avoiding evil input is the least of the problem. Foul thoughts pop up without any obvious provocation, threatening to change the course of my behavior. Trying to put them out is not always easy. Vital to their control is the principle of replacement, but again, I must be careful what replacements are used.
 

Many times I thank God that He has provided marvelous resources from which Christians can draw their thoughts and ideas. 1 Corinthians 2:16 says that we actually have the mind of Christ. Because of this provision, it is possible to win victories in this battle to guard what is going on inside our heads.
 

The Bible says that God’s thought are higher than my thoughts (Isaiah 55:9) and the psalmist says, “How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them! If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand . . . ”
 

Personally, I find that very exciting. Those who have the mind of Christ have the capacity to never run out of creative and godly ways to think. The challenges of writing articles, or doing anything else for that matter, become opportunities to rely on the Lord and to discover that He never stops creating.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome, but all advertising, spam, and "please read my blog" requests will be deleted.